Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

Go Live

So, today was the day that a lot of us at work have been waiting for for a long time.

A little history for those that don't know: For several months I have been part of a data validation team at work. What's that mean? Since I have worked at SWFC we have used several different database systems to track our students. Admissions used two different ones, registrar, bursar, and financial aid used one, and financial aid also used a couple other systems. Someone realized that this is a pretty inefficient way to do things and started looking into other solutions. We finally settled on a program called "CampusVue." So back in October or November, I was asked (along with quite a few others) to be part of a data validation team to ensure that the new system matches the old systems. For many different reasons, the validating was not going well, so the higher ups re-evaluated the situation and decided to trim the team down to have only one person for each department. Everyone that got chosen was some sort of Director of something, or at least an Assistant Director of something. Except me. Because of my prior experience with Admissions, and my knowledge of the college (hehe, that rhymes) I was chosen as the "Subject Matter Expert" for Admissions.

That brings us to today. After many weeks and months of work, we went live with our new system. As with any large data migration, there are still a few kinks to work out, but I am really enjoying the way the new system works. I won't bore you with a lot of details, but let's just say once it is running smoothly our jobs will be a lot easier.

Hope everyone is well. I am doing my best to blog everyday. I just wish my life was more interesting. :)



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: