Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2011

John Smith

I have been trying to think of the "right" thing to say all day today about Grand-pa Jack. Jack. John Smith. Such a common name for someone so special. Jack was the real deal. He was an honest to goodness hero. Not just a war hero either. After fighting in WWII, he took advantage of the GI Bill, and used his education to help put men on the Moon. As if being a war hero, and a participant in the space race wasn't enough, he was a loving husband and father. And an amazing grandfather, not only to his actual grandchildren, but to those few of us graced to be part of his life.
I never knew my grandfathers. I wish that I had, but wishing will never make it so. Jack treated me as one of his own. He was kind and funny. He loved his family, and always put them first. His marriage to Peggy is one to be admired by all. Sixty-Two years they were together. If I can even spend half of that amount of time with Lauren I will consider myself blessed.
I loved Jack's stories. I will share my favorite one, and I think you'll see why I like it. One Sunday, we were leaving church and everyone was chatting about this or that, and I think Lauren mentioned something about her trip to Australia. I was helping Jack to the van and he stopped and looked at me.
"Have you ever been to Australia?"
"No Jack, I never have. I would love to go sometime. Have you been?"
"Oh yes. If you are ever in Sydney by the McDonald's on Kings Row, be careful. That's where all the hookers hang out."
"Okay Jack, I'll keep that in mind."
He started walking again, and that was the last he said about it, but it always stuck with me. What a wonderfully random, yet awesome thing to say. Was he telling me that to warn me, or was he telling me that just in case I was looking?
I told Peggy this story last night before he passed, and she confirmed it. It turns out she was with him on that particular trip with a couple of friends of theirs. Not only did Jack and their friend get approached by a couple of ladies of the night, but a guy approached them too! Peggy said the first thing that caught her eye so many years ago with Jack was his sense of humor. That must be where my fondness for him comes from. Maybe that's what Lauren sees in me? Maybe attraction is a genetic trait. If so, I pray I can live up to be 1/4 the man that Jack Smith was. He will be truly missed.
I know that Jack is in heaven. I saw cirrus clouds in the sky on my way home today, that's how I know for sure. There have been cirrus clouds in the sky whenever someone close to me has died. It is one of the few things I remember about the day of Bobby's funeral. It's like God wraps the Earth in a protective blanket to comfort those of us left behind. I wish I could see Jack and Nanny meeting for the first time. They are going to get along famously. Jack was in a dance band. Nanny will love that.
Rest in Peace Jack. Your family, all of us, miss you.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I have been blessed by my time with you, but I would be the luckiest girl alive if I got to spend at least the next 31 years with you.